Here are the top 5 reasons to at least eat less red meat:
1. A compound found in red meat has been found to harden arteries.
2. Vegetarians tend to live longer. It’s possible that the cooking of red meat (charring) produces toxins which are then ingested.
3. “Pink Slime”. Red meat often contains an additive of fatty bits of leftover meat that is heated and then spun to remove the fat, and then is treated with an ammonia gas to kill bacteria.
4. Expensive cuts of meat are sometimes just smaller, lower quality cuts of meat that are “glued” together with transglutaminase. Ick.
5. The impact livestock has on our planet is significant. To produce a quarter pound of meat the following is required: 7 pounds of grain and forage, 53 gallons of drinking water and irrigating of feed crops, 75 square feet of grazing area, and 1,036 BTU’s for feed production and transport.
To read the article in its entirety, click here.